Instinctively I switched the hob off, opened all windows to ventilate the house and had to go out until it was safe to come in. Who knows what could have happened if I didn't act quickly..
Another example of carbon monoxide dangers- my father-in-law has smell and taste disorder and on one occasion I have noticed that their cooker was left on, which is a potential danger and gas engineer also pointed out that he can smell carbon monoxide from their chimney and advised not to use it.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas and, as such, it is very difficult to detect and can easily be inhaled without you realising. Being exposed to high concentration levels can be fatal or cause several other long-term health problems such as brain damage. According to NHS statistics, every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die.
There are several warning signs in your home that could mean you have a carbon monoxide issue. Here are a few things to look out for:
- The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
- Dark staining around or on appliances
- Sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or the cover of gas fires
- Pilot lights that frequently go out
- Increased condensation inside windows
Have a functioning carbon monoxide alarm in your home as an early warning detector. If you smell gas you need to act quickly. Immediately stop using all your cooking and heating appliances, gas and electric. Make sure the room is well ventilated by opening all doors and windows. If you have access to your gas isolation valve turn it a quarter turn so the lever is at 90 degrees to the upright gas pipe. You should then ring the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 11 999.
Being aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could save your life. Here are the main six symptoms to look out for:
- Loss of consciousness
What CORGI HomePlan can do:
If you know you have a leak, don’t attempt to fix this yourself – Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances or flues to see if there is a dangerous problem. All the engineers used at CORGI HomePlan are there to ensure you get the highest possible quality service and your home is kept completely safe. They will perform a thorough service on your boiler and gas supply, including several tests and checks to ensure that the appliance is operating safely.
I am very delighted to offer one of my readers the opportunity to win the carbon monoxide detector worth £30, all you have to do is fill out the Rafflecopter form below (the competition starts on 17 April 12am and ends on 1 May 12am):