Wednesday 7 October 2015

Arts & Crafts: Introducing edible oatmeal playdough to L

I always wanted to try to do something creative with L, and as she is getting older and more adventurous I thought that it is a great opportunity to try something new. 

I decided to start with something very simple, safe and easy to do- edible oatmeal playdough. L is a big fan of eating and sucking anything she can see and get hold of and I was very intrigued to see what she would do with playdough.

The recipe is very simple and you don't have to buy any extra bits for it or have special skills. 

To make oatmeal edible playdough you would need:
1/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of oats
1/4 cup of water
Optional- food colouring
Large bowl
Mix the ingredients together, if you see that it is too sticky add a little bit more flour or if too dry add a little bit of water. And hand knead until soft. I decided to have to colour for L to play with and divided the playdough ball into 2 part- one plain and one with food colouring (just few drops). 
I assumed that l would know what to do with it or would be interested to play, but instead she prodded it few times, played with it as if it's a ball, was tearing it apart but generally looked not interested.
I didn't give up and started making different shapes out of it (showing her what to do with playdough) something that she knows- flower, cat, small balls and this time she seems more interested but it didn't last long. 

I think next time I will try more colours and glitter.

2 comments: